Ken and me

Ken and me

Wednesday, March 31, 2010

What happened to music?

As an avid American Idol fan, I am amazed-- no, horrified, actually-- about what passes for good music nowadays. Now, I don't want to sound like our parents did when we listened to KISS or the Rolling Stones... but come on, I watched Kesha and Usher and P. Diddy on AI recently, and I was astounded at the lack of soul, of depth, of intensity of the "music" of these artists. I'm not saying the bands of the 70s were the purveyors of truth and justice, but seems like music had more meaning. Music of the past was either ground-breaking or experimental or meaningful. It just seems like there is no more ground to break in the music industry. Even Lady Gaga, who claims to be innovative, is just a pop singer using sex to sell mundanity to the masses who think she's cutting-edge.
I just find myself listening to radio stations that play old music. I am a child of the 70s and 80s, and maybe I just don't "get" the crap the music industry is putting out today... Call me a relic, call me what you will, say I'm old-fashioned, say I'm over the hill. Today's music ain't got the same soul... Yup, Bob Seger said it best...

No comments:

Post a Comment